How to make a Podcast
So you’re thinking about starting a podcast? Here’s why that is brilliant! The thought itself brings you ahead of many and I’m here to help you figure out the rest.
Some common questions running in your head right now might be where do I start, what do I talk about, how can I create a series of podcast episodes and so on. While these unknowns may seem overwhelming right now, all you need to think about first is why you want to start a podcast. Is it for fun, business, personal growth or just to talk to interesting people?
Once you know your reason, all you need to do is read ahead and learn How To Make A Podcast.
How to choose podcast topic ideas?
Determining podcast topic ideas may be the first thing that can stump you. You could either be struggling to find an idea, or maybe you have lots of them and aren’t sure what to pick. In order to narrow down on a podcast topic idea, it is important to brainstorm all possible topics and build a consideration set. A good way to do this is by following the 5P Framework for Ideas
5P Framework for Ideas
- Passion While ‘follow your passion’ is an easy thing to say, I know how hard it can be for many of you to know what your passion really is. I believe answering a few interesting questions can help move in the right direction to begin with. I’d like to share some things that I have done in the past and that I’m sure can help you as well. Think about and write down things that:
- Motivate you or make you feel good upon completion
- Topics that you have plenty to talk about with a friend
- Concepts that you love to read about in detail
- Subject area of the channels that you subscribe to
- You naturally spend time doing
How can you make a difference?
- Identify the underlying problem, and brainstorm several ways to address it through a podcast series.
Set a goal to jot down all the ideas that cross your mind while thinking about each of the 5 P’s of content creation. Remember, no idea is bad at this stage. So try not to overthink or neglect any of the ideas at this stage.
Finally, review to see if any of your ideas can be combined to come up with a Broad Topic, or if you can carve out a niche. For example, if you follow sports and are a feminist, you can consider Women’s sports as your niche.
How to choose a podcast name?
Once you have your topic or niche planned out, next step is to pick a podcast name. While selecting podcast names, I recommend going into a broad category that encompasses many verticals, and going specific in the podcast episode titles. You can also just use your name if you have the goal of building a personal brand in the long term.
Once you have the podcast name handy, next step is to plan the format
How to plan podcast show format?
Before finalizing on the show format for your podcast, I recommend listening to many different styles and formats that are currently out there. Some of podcast formats are:
- Conversational/Talk Show
- Q & A
Each of these formats tend to have different segments, and it is important to think about those in advance so that you can place them appropriately within your episode. Key segment types could include:
- Main content
- Ad insertions
- Tip/tool of the day (promo hopefully)
- Reviews with Call-to-action
Quick Tip: Begin with some of these, if not all, and evolve your segments over time. Don’t stress over getting it right. What matters is that you start.
How to plan podcast episodes?
Now that you have an idea about your podcast topic, name and show format, it is time to dig deeper into planning of the episodes. Here is where you will need to do some research.
To begin with, it can help to get some ideas from the following sources in the topic areas:
- Discussions with your target group
- Table of contents of Books
- Blog posts or podcasting articles that rank well on google search
- Reviews received by other podcasters operating in the same niche
- Q & A sites such as Quora, Reddit and so on
- Interesting leaders that you wish to interview
This feels like the right point to pause. On completing each of the steps mentioned here you will be miles ahead of most others who are not thinking strategically about How to make a podcast. Buying equipment is important, and we will come to that. But first, it’s important that you spend some time thinking about these points and fleshing out your podcast ideas in detail.
So, let’s go!