How to choose a podcast name?
When you're starting out as a podcast creator, it's a good idea to spend some time and think about good names for podcasts. A good podcast name can peak the curiosity of your potential listener, while they are browsing through a list of podcasts. Picking catchy or cool podcast names can help you capture attention of new listeners.
There can be many different paths to consider while selecting podcast names. I recommend going in with a broader category that encompasses many verticals. However, you can also use your name if your goal is to build a personal brand in the long term.
To help you decide which direction to pick, we'll dig in deeper and see how to choose a podcast name. So let's get started!
How to come up with good podcast names?
Using your creativity is a great place to start when you’re thinking of good podcast names. Some of us may come up short in this area though. I know I struggle in coming up with creative names for anything and feel pressured. Luckily, there are some strategies that can help in this area. I’ll walk you through my process of brainstorming, and my hope is that this would help you think of some creative podcast names.
Step 1: Define Your Product
Before starting out, most of us have a brief idea about what type of content we wish to create. When thinking of creative names, I start off by listing down a few things. I'm sure following this will be useful for you as well. Here's what you can do:
- Define the core value that you plan to offer through your podcast content
- List down words that capture your overall podcast idea well enough
- Research keywords or phrases relevant to your podcast category or industry
- Create a tone or personality for the podcast
Coming up with words and creating a long podcast name list can be challenging. Luckily there are 8 podcast names generator tools that can help in this step. Most ask pertinent questions to help you come up with better ideas for podcast names.
Best Podcast Names Generator Tools for Free
- Copywriting Course's Podcast Names Generator Tool
- Biz Name Wiz for Podcast Names
- Business Name Generator
- Squad Help - Favorite suggestions generated by your community
- Mighty Network's Name Generator
- Shopify's Name Generator Tool
During podcast names ideas list creation phase, a good rule of thumb to consider is -
Keep it Short and Easy to Remember
Step 2: Define Your Target Audience
Once you have the laundry list of ideas for podcast names, it's important to shortlist the most suitable and creative podcast names by keeping your target audience in mind.
How to define your target audience?
Target audience can be segmented based on thw following:
- Demographics:- Age, Gender, Income Potential, Location
- Psychographics: Interests, Activities, Opinions
- Culture: Communities of people who share common experiences
Step 3: Optimize for Search Engines
With more and more podcasts being created and published, podcast discovery has been a challenge creators grapple with.
To make it easier for you, what would help is finding names that not only pique the interest of your target audience, but also contain attractive keywords for google's search algorithm. You want clever podcast names that are also easily findable online.
It all comes down to taking all the help you can get by leveraging google's algorithm to your advantage.
Step 4: Perform Sanity Check
Basic sanity checks such as checking for availability and looking to avoid duplicates is essential. In the US especially, trademark rights go to the first person to use that mark for similar goods or services. This means thatif someone has already used a podcast name you're considering, he/she will have superior legal rights for that name.
How to check if your podcast name is taken?
- Search your podcast name in common podcast directories. Browse through Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts etc. to see if anything similar shows up.
- Perform a quick check on availability of twitter, instagram and pinterest handles
- Leverage tools like namechk.com which searches over 100 services to check if the name is taken.
- Lastly, search for availability of domain URLs that can go along with your podcast show.
Step 5: Test it to Collect Feedback
Now that your background work is complete, and you have all the check boxes tick marked, it's time to test it out with your target audience to collect real-world feedback.
Reach out to people who fit your target segment, and ask them things like:
- Did the podcast name resonate with them? If so, why?
- Did the name clearly communicate what your podcast is about?
- Did it intrigue them enough to make them want to find out more?
- What did they like or dislike about the name?
- Was it easy enough for them to remember? - This helps check if your podcast could grow through word of mouth recommendations
- and so on.
How to Register a Podcast Name
Once you've undergone this process and have finally selected a unique, clever podcast name, you may want to consider registering for trademarking the name.
Registration provides benefits such as an insurance of having benefit of doubt in case of a legal conflict. The registration process, however, is tricky and seeking help from a trademark attorney might help in this regard. Review the trademarking process for U.S. here.
Should you consider Trademarking your Podcast Name
In many cases, trademark registering isn’t necessary, especially when you’re just starting out.
However, if you already have a well-known brand and are planning to leverage the brand on a new podcasting journey, it would be wise to register for trademarking your podcast name.
Choosing names for podcast is important as it signifies the product you are creating and publishing. It is therefore useful to spend some time upfront to strategically select a good podcast name.
I've laid out my own process of going about name selection because I think it can be help out many of you who are just starting out on this new creative journey.
Some of the key highlights are as follows:
- How to come up with good podcast names?
- Define Your Product (Along with Some Free Tools that can help)
- Define Your Target Audience
- Optimize for Search Enginer
- Perform Sanity Check
- Test it out & Collect Feedback
- How to Register a Podcast Name?
- Should you consider it?